Tips for Managing Stress During Fertility Treatment
Although it is healthy and normal for you and your partner to express your emotions, during fertility treatment you also should look for ways to alleviate as many stressors as you can.
- Join a support group. Although support from family and friends is comforting, members of a support group dedicated to fertility issues may better understand the specifics of what a person is going through during fertility treatment.
- Try relaxation exercises. Learn a relaxation technique such as yoga, meditation, deep breathing or progressive muscle relaxation to decrease anxiety.
- Keep a journal. A journal is like a silent best friend: always there to listen to your innermost feelings. You should feel no pressure to write in the journal every day, but writing in a journal can be a great way to express your thoughts and emotions.
- Pamper yourself. A massage, a pedicure, or a day at a spa may be relaxing and even fun. If you don’t want to spend money on a spa treatment, get a free makeover at a department store or watch a video with no distractions.
- Exercise. Exercise can alter chemicals in the brain to reduce feelings of stress and even depression.
- Reconnect with your partner. Do something with your partner that does not involve “fertility stressors.” Give yourselves a chance to enjoy what you love about each other. Plan a date with your partner, for example, or a weekend getaway to revitalize your relationship.
- Do what makes you happy. Fertility treatment may change your daily schedule so much that you forget to have fun. Try to include activities you love in your daily routine. Read for a few minutes, go to the movies, hike, play a board or card game, or see friends.
Remember, if stress continues to be a problem for you or your partner, speak with your doctor.