Plan for Fertility Treatment
Although it may seem difficult to fit all this into your schedule, try to take on fertility treatment as you would all other life projects. For example, evaluate your professional and personal availability and productivity. Then conduct your research, make plans and take action. At the same time, continue with other important projects.
Fitting Fertility Treatments into Your Schedule
It may seem difficult to fit fertility treatments into your already busy schedule. Planning ahead and setting your priorities, while remaining flexible, can help ease the stress associated with this substantial time commitment.
With a little planning you should have few problems fitting in fertility treatment into your busy lifestyle. Here are some tips to make treatment blend more smoothly with your other responsibilities:
- Discuss your treatment plan with your doctor. Your reproductive endocrinologist can help you set reasonable expectations for treatment. Learn about success rates, medication schedules and doses, possible side effects, and how long you may need to stay in treatment. Here are some more questions to ask your doctor.
- Keep working. You may be tempted to walk away from the time pressures and stress of work to concentrate on getting pregnant. However, your career can give you something to focus on other than your fertility struggle, and provide you with a sense of accomplishment.
- Make treatment a priority. Plan ahead and try not to schedule big meetings or trips during your treatment cycle. Explain your work situation to your doctor’s staff and ask if they can be flexible with appointments.
- Talk with your boss or supervisor. If you feel comfortable, meet with your boss and discuss your treatment schedule and any possible changes you may have to make to accommodate it. Offer to come in early or stay late to meet deadlines.
- Share with a Colleague. Talk with a trusted co-worker or two about your situation. They see you every day and may be able to provide an important support system during treatment.
- Find ways to reduce stress. Coping with job stress and the emotional toll of fertility treatment can be doubly difficult. Be sure to get regular exercise and maintain a healthy diet. Get a massage or plan a getaway weekend with your partner.
For more information on dealing with the stress of fertility treatments, please read coping tips.